Saturday, April 18, 2009

New Issue

Yes, the magazine has gone though a transformation. I too have gone though a transformation. Last week I woke up at 4am and decided to cut all of my hair off, the outside just wasn’t matching the inside. Over this year I’ve grown and found my voice; it was time to shed my old look. The fact is I have no background in publishing and every issue of this magazine has been a progression into “What is Parlour”. I see my role as giving Parlour a voice and keeping its integrity. Parlour mirror’s my life – and we are taking huge leaps and coming into our own.

During this transformation I had the opportunity to fly to Vancouver and interview Lykke Li, one of my all time girl-crushes. She was as enchanting as I had imagined she would be, and instead of an interview we had a conversation – two girls talking about finding their beauty and their selves through their voices. Lykke Li talked about how her voice has changed though the process of following her heart. And when you hear her sing it’s obvious – her voice is full of soul and beauty.

Another marvel took place one morning when I received a message inquiring if Parlour was interested in doing an interview and photo shoot with Lady Gaga, someone who I had heard once on Much Music. Within weeks of receiving the message, I began to see Lady Gaga everywhere, in passing I mentioned to a friend that Parlour was asked if we wanted to do an interview, and the response was a look of “are you crazy to even be thinking about this”. With this smack to the head I turned and ran back into my office in hopes that we still had a chance for the interview. In the upcoming months everyone was talking about this outrageous performer. We were able to spend four hours with the pop princess, and in our time together my admiration grew – she has a dream and is doing it, she works hard and doesn’t care what people think. But with all this, she is still a girl with real girl problems, she commented that she’s good at a lot of things but sucks at love, all I could think of is - “I’m with you on that”.

But we stay on track and those highs we experience from following our dreams are like being on that mountain on a clear sunny day ready to take on the world with no doubt in sight.

Shelly Solarz
Publisher / Editor-In-Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment